Chemo session 1 completed

And I am feeling OK this morning, if a little light-headed and heavy-legged.

I had a busy morning shopping, preparing Bob’s meal for the evening and dealing with some business stuff. I managed to burn the potatoes because I was so engrossed in work stuff I forgot to turn them off.

Promptly at 1:30 Lyn arrived to take us to the hospital. While Lyn parked I checked in and got the parking voucher for her windscreen. I was also given a buzzer and told to wait for it to vibrate and flash when the nurses were ready. We all sat down with a coffee (actually just Lyn and Bob had coffee – I was still ‘de jeûne’ and anyway not drinking coffee or tea at all) in the cafe which is two paces from the chemo suite. Within 5 minutes my buzzer went off and I made my way inside.

There was a buzz of chatter and laughter. Everyone – patients and staff – was very upbeatchemo chair and cheerful. I was ushered to a comfortable easy chair at the end of the room and Bob was found a rather hard and uncomfortable visitors’ chair right next to the waste bins, which he found rather hard to accept. All the nurses are extremely caring. My own dedicated nurse was called Jo and she gave me a hot pad to wrap round my arm to help the vein to expand. This was a very comforting feeling. After the routine blood pressure, sats and temperature tests, she inserted a cannula into my right arm. I hardly felt it at all. The cannula remained in place while she gave me an anti-nausea drug and a steroid. Those needed to “cook” for half an hour. Bob and chairLyn took turns to sit with me. I actually found that quite tiring and suggested at some point that they leave me for a while.

Jo gave me a pack of medication to take home. Steroids to take for three days, and anti-nausea to take if needed as well as something in case I get constipated. The flax oil should see me ok there, but you never know!

After about half an hour Jo returned and started to inject the actual chemo drugs.

Before doing so she checked once again that I was me (name, date of birth, address) and warned me that it might feel cold in the vein. It didn’t. On the fourth vial she warned me I’d get a metallic taste in my mouth. So far I haven’t. I felt slightly light-headed and was very glad not to be driving. A huge hug to Lyn for taking us. She and Bob got on like a house on fire and forgot the time.

I was in the chemo suite for about two and a half hours and once all four vials were safely injected I could go. I came away with the next two appointments booked, the medication, and a blood test form for next time.  Lyn and Bob, deep in their conversation over their second coffees, were rather surprised to find me walking out to join them.

So right now I am feeling like a fraud. But it is early days, and I do know that I will lose my hair, which as all women (and a lot of chaps too) will appreciate, is a bit of a blow, to say the least. Good thing that I have an appointment booked to get a wig next week.

I am adding almond oil to my shopping list to rub into my scalp as the hair comes away.

All in all, today was nothing like as frightening as I thought it would be. I will keep reporting on my progress over the next few days. I have to watch out for any sign of a raised temperature or feeling unwell and contact the hospital without fail if my temperature goes up. For that reason I have to avoid being with people with colds or ‘flu.

Update. Having fasted for 28 hours I didn’t think I could hold out any longer, so I had a light supper, watched some TV, took a bath in Epsom salts then off to bed to settle down for the night.

Next morning. After a long sleep, I am up and functioning, but feel a little weaker than I normally do, and the light-headedness hasn’t gone yet. I have reduced my steps target on my Fitbit but feel that I can have a normal day, with a few more rests than I would normally take. I have a stack of DVDs and shall spend some ‘me’ time indulging in fantasy.




3 thoughts on “Chemo session 1 completed

  1. It is hard to think “I know this person.” And at the same time feel like I am watching a movie. It can’t be real – screams my brain.

    I am grateful for your courage. Here is hoping all goes well.


  2. Lucy, I found your diary very helpful. Also, your positive attitude and thoughtful nature most enchanting. I am about to start on my journey. I wish you all the best and am sure you will win the fight. Kindest regards and love, Jean


    1. Hi Jean. I was sorry to hear of your situation. Every one has a different journey but you can be as ready for it as possible by eating foods that boost your immune system and that are known to bust cancer. Give me a call if you want to talk. Ask Frances for my email.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s